Today I I pretty much finished a full stack application except for a small annoying bug in an edit button. Every time I edited something it would put the edited item in all items in the list instead of just the one I was working with.
Normally I would just think to myself "this is a simple problem let me dive in and just fix it". This is a risky way of doing things because, without some sort of order to the bug-finding process, the simple problem can turn into a needless exposition down the wrong path that robs me of time and velocity.
So what I did was take a minute to understand what the problem really was. Then I drew a quick diagram of the flow of the application. This allowed me to narrowed the scope of the problem so I can focus on real problem areas and not spend time searching in the wrong places.
Before I started coding anything I solved the problem. Lesson learned; always start with a plan no matter how simple the problem is so you don't end up going on a wild goose chase.